Saturday, June 18, 2011

We checked in to our hotel, La Casona. It's in town, a short block from the water, and is incredibly beautiful. The room is comfortable, with a double and a twin, ceiling fan, standing fan, and an incredible wrap-around porch with chairs, a table and a hammock. There are no spider webs here, and a noticeable absence of bugs. It turns out the geckos keep them down. The geckos are hard to see but easy to hear. At first I thought there were birds in the house (no screens, and lots of open spaces, but oddly, the birds do not fly in). The geckos make a loud chirping sound, especially at night.

The first thing we did was go down to the water. Sal went in but I had my camera so we strolled along the beach quite a way, past the river, and then back again. We wandered around town and had a fish taco at the place called "Fish Taco" not to be confused with Sayulita Fish Taco or many of the other fish taco stands. Burrito Revolution is closed for the summer, unfortunately.

We came back to the hotel, feeling tired from all the travel, and hung out for a while on the porch overlooking the street. In the evening we wandered the square and weren't quite sure what to do for dinner when a diner on the street hailed us and asked us what we were looking for. Turns out this guy is from Edmonton but he is building a house here, and he suggested we have a burrito at this place Olga's. So we did, and it was delicious. Seems most of the people here know each other. The tables are set out right on the cobblestone streets, and the traffic roar by inches from the tables. He said it was quiet compared to high season when the traffic is non-stop. The streets around town are mostly one way, but there are many streets leading off the main roads that rise steeply into the hills and once the cars turn onto them they gun it up.

Once back at the hotel for bed, we put in our supplied ear plugs. I hit the sack and fell asleep immediately but woke in the middle of the night with the noise. One of my earplugs was loose and somehow when I tried to re-insert it, it ended up across the room in the dark, so I spent the rest of the night sleeping with that ear into the pillow. Once the bars closed and the noise finally ceased, the birds started chirping. I rose at 6:30 and went to the balcony to take pictures of the street cleaners and their dogs.

Olga's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment